Foot in the Door
A new opportunity to kick-start your future
Ffilm Cymru Wales and creative industry consultancy Our Colab are working in partnership with Welsh production company Severn Screen to provide a free programme of training, and production placements on the set of a major new film.
Ten people over the age of 18 that are not otherwise engaged in employment, education or training will have the opportunity to spend a week learning valuable new skills on the set of The Raid director Gareth Evans’ new film Apostle.
The Welsh filmmaker will shoot his new film from April around South Wales, and Foot in the Door is offering training placements to ambitious people that are keen to develop their skills, and explore their opportunities for future employment.
What will you get out of it?
- A free 5-day film-focused training course that will offer an insight into working in the world of film
- A 5-day production placement training on set of Apostle to learn about the practicalities of working on a film set and how the film industry works
- Mentoring and training support throughout
- An opportunity to explore your skillsand how these can apply to roles in the creative industries
- A better understanding and first-hand working knowledge of how the film industry operates
- A chance to improve your CV, make new contacts and open the door to new opportunities
What will the programme involve?
- A five-day training course to introduce you to the roles and responsibilities on a film set, as well as health and safety practices. This training will be led byfilm production specialists and will feature advice from industry experts.
- A five-day production placement on the set of the film shoot, including guidance from individual departmental mentors.
- Post-placement evaluation meetings to support your future development.
What types of placement are available?
Our placements on Apostle are production (craft) based and will cover the following areas.
- Art Department
- Hair & Make Up
- Script Supervisor
Who can apply?
- You must be over the age of 18, but there is no upper age limit on this programme, and we welcome a wide cross-section of applicants.
- We will prioritise applications from those currently not in employment, education, or other training programmes.
- You must be resident in the Newport, Caerphilly, Torfaen or Monmouthshire areas.
- You must be available for the following days Mon-Friday between 18th -21st April and 24-28th April inclusive.
We believe there should be no barriers to opportunity in film and as such, with support from Creative Skillset and Charter Housing Association, we are offering to support individuals with costs such as travel and childcare.
How to apply
- Fill in the online application form here. ( it will take around 15-20 minutes)
- OR request a paper application form to be posted to you with a stamped addressed envelope for return by contacting Ffilm Cymru Wales on 02920 766931.
- OR attend one of our information drop-in sessions (Dates to be announced)
The deadline for applications is 5pm Friday 17th March 2017 and successful shortlisted applicants with be invited to participate in a further recruitment day on the morning of 27th March in central Newport.
Please note: Your Foot in the Door placement should not lead to loss of alternate income or existing benefits for those not in work, carers, or those with any kind of disability. We will provide support to encourage and support individuals to participate in the training and training placement. This can support travel, childcare or anything that a participant may believe is a barrier to them undertaking this training. There is an opportunity to indicate that you require a bursary within the application form and include detail of the support required.
This programme is supported by Creative Skillset’s Film Skills Fund, with BFI’s Film Forever National Lottery funds.